18 September 2007

Dark Side of the Tunes

I spent a good two hours last night looking through iTunes, listening to samples, perusing artists and genres. Guess what I ended up buying? Nothing. Yep, Two hours of my life I’ll never get back, all because hope springs eternal that I will find more music I like. I seem to be stuck in a rut, listening to older music, soundtracks, and the occasional metal band my child inflicts on me. I don’t even listen to the radio any more, vapid is the word that comes to mind. So where to find new music? Right now I go mainly by recommendations. Music from bands that play at our Celtic Festival Indulgers, Gobs O’Phun, Men of Worth, Lalla Rookh. Opera rec’s from Gabriele. My anonymous brother has been a good source for folk and bluegrass, my children keep me up to date on metal and rap – although the oldest shares my tastes in Pink Floyd, the Doors, Jefferson Airplane, and others of that ilk. Kind of scary when you ride in a car with a 17 year old and can agree on the music. And want it louder.

Part of my reluctance to purchase more music is financial; I can’t see paying yet again for Pink Floyd in another media. Luckily I had most of the CD’s and could just load them, but there was a couple disks too scratched to work with, or at least that’s what my computer tells me. How many copies of “Wish You Were Here” or “A Momentary Lapse of Reason” does one person really need? Not to mention the transfer of old laptop files to new laptop went… okay. But if I find the person who decided grouping iTunes folders by whatever weird method they came up with, I shall beat him with a USB cable. The logical person would put all the songs off an album in one file folder. Not so iTunes. If there was a guest singer, or additional musician listed, they go off into a separate file folder, sometimes under the grand title of “compilations”, sometimes under some archaic and Byzantine method I have yet to figure out. I’m sure there’s a box to check/uncheck somewhere to fix it, but I don’t need to work that hard, you know? If I buy an album, it should be ready to play in the order the artists intended. I want to listen, I don’t want to have to do rocket science just to hear some tunes.

That was the iTunes whine for the day, on the bright side; I have a stack of 93 CDs waiting to be ripped. In my copious free time. At least this way, I can eliminate songs I’ll never listen to, and compile things in my own weird way. I’ve made mixes for my iTunes and iPod just for writing. Songs for Writing Battle Scenes, Songs for Background Noise, Foreign Mood-setting Music, podcasts on writing, Escape Pod podcasts for inspiration, Audiobooks of poetry, and instrumentals. Tunes to compose poetry by – which aren’t as fluffy as you would think. Fatboy Slim can be really inspirational. Honest.

In a training module for work, one of the icebreakers the trainer asked was, “What is your favorite song?” Interesting question, because if he asked about books or paintings or even cars, I would have hemmed and hawed and had to consider it at length before coming up with an answer. Not so with music. At least this decade. I had no problem volunteering my answer straight away.

Pink Floyd - "Learning to Fly".

The video is not my vision of it, but hey, I’ll cut the artists some slack. *g* So have you made music collections just for writing? Is there some tunes that get you racing to write that battle scene? Music to Off Bad Guys? Great, sweeping bits to sketch scenery by? Please, share with the class.

What’s YOUR favorite song?

<

16 comments:

Gabriele Campbell said...

Lol, I don't have one favourite, I have dozens. And I've recently discovered opera DVSs. Yes, not only the music, but the pictures as well, which is even more fun.

And more expensive.

Constance Brewer said...

So what's your favorite opera then? :)

Gabriele Campbell said...

How much space do I get? :)

I have some 150 and adding new ones whenever something good gets on the market.

Constance Brewer said...

How about your top 5 and reasons why? I've got Il Barbiere Di Siviglia, so I'm trolling for other operas. *g*

Constance Brewer said...

How about your top 5 and reasons why? I've got Il Barbiere Di Siviglia, so I'm trolling for other operas. *g*

Anonymous said...

My favorite song is the one the hits me at the right time in the right place (heart and/or mind).

That said....keep in mind that your favorite songs and bands or "genres" will change according to mood,location,amount of alcohol consumed etc. etc.

After many Yuenglings,I tend toward southern rock,bluegrass and Led Zeppelin...............loud,of course.

Constance Brewer said...

"keep in mind that your favorite songs and bands or "genres" will change according to mood,location,amount of alcohol consumed etc. "

Ah, this is true. I just meant overall favorite, since I was put on the spot. I have my favorite Celtic tune, classical, rap, oldie, etc. Even my favorite Dean Martin song - hey, blame the relatives for that one!

Gabriele Campbell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gabriele Campbell said...

I shouldn't try and comment at 6 am. The typo gnome was so waiting for me. :)

Lol, the list of the top 5 changes all the time. Right now it would be:

Verid, Nabucco
Verdi, Macbeth
Verdi, I Vespri Siciliani
Donizetti, Lucia di Lammermoor
Bellini, La Straniera

Constance Brewer said...

The Typo gnome was up early with coffee. I always forget whether it's tomorrow or yesterday in Germany... :)

I'll have to check out your top 5. Listened to Il Barbiere Di Siviglia on my drive across the state yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Must be nice to get paid to drive around!
You "state workers"(oxymoron) got it made! :)

Constance Brewer said...

"Anonymous", some day I hope to be an old, top of my pay grade state worker like my hero. Then I can just order people around and drive my funky hybrid truck all day - when not changing the light bulbs in the swimming pool!

Anonymous said...

Okay.....so I'm semi-retired.....
And your point?????

Constance Brewer said...

No point, I'm just jealous!

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous!
I just have a campus to drive around.
You have a whole state!
With lot's of sheep!

Constance Brewer said...

You probably have more people on campus than we do in the whole state.

But we have more sheep.