01 May 2008

What's On The Easel


Quick oil sketch that wants to be a samurai type when it grows up. Much refining is needed, but the basics are there. My dysfunctional, dyslexic brain does much better with a black background and white sketch than with the reverse. I've also given myself permission not to have much of a background. Saves me stress, cause I can either do a good person, or a good background, but not both. Depth perception is not one of my strong points...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks to be an Italian samurai dressed in the latest Milan fashion.
Also known as a "Spaghetti Samurai".

Since you seem to be in the nationality bending mode,how 'bout a Polish Eskimo?

Anonymous said...

Did you ever think about starting up a series of "Spaghetti Western" action figures?
For us baby boomers who suffered through them in the 60's and 70's?

Gabriele Campbell said...

That samurai looks like someone pissed him off. :)

Lol, I still like to watch a spaghetti western now and then. They have a certain outdated charme, like Captain Kirk and Spock.

Constance Brewer said...

Anon, be careful what you wish for. Should I use Joey as a model??
And don't get me back into sculpting, it could get... ugly.

Constance Brewer said...

Gabriele - anyone with two swords looks pissed off. :)
Hey, old school is still fun to watch. But you have to have the right background music. It's nothing without an Ennio Morricone score....

Geraldine Helen said...

This is very good Constance! I am impressed.

Interesting that you like working with dark backgrounds; that's usually more difficult from my experience painting and drawing.

www.mypoeticpath.wordpress.com

Constance Brewer said...

Geraldine - thanks! I have a bunch of half finished projects. :)Writing takes priority, but sometimes the urge to paint is overwhelming.
I think I like the dark background because my brain is wired backwards. I think it's easier to work dark to light than the other way.