08 November 2008

Poem a Day Update, By The Numbers

It's Day 8 of the NaNoWriMo for Poets, or Poem a Day Challenge. Being a hyperactive overachiever, I have 16 poems. Of those, I'm very happy with 4, fairly happy with 4, and figure another 6 need a lot of work. There are two that have terrific opening lines and little else, and one of those came so far out of the blue I have no idea what I was thinking at the time.

The longest one is 48 lines, the shortest is 8 lines. It was interesting to see a call for myth in the poem prompt, I have no problem there, several of the poems have mythology mixed in, Castor and Pollux, Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos. I bounce from karma to Christianity, music to baseball. There's even a scifi poem that snuck in when I wasn't looking - the out of the blue poem mentioned above.

Maybe you can get the feel for things from my on the go titles. Subject to change, of course. Not posting anything at this point until the poems are thoroughly vetted by my hopelessly picky internal critic.

Titles to Date:
Metronome
Music Like A Punch To The Head
Orion On The Horizon
A Passionate Love
Acting Lessons
Deep Breathing
Midas Gold
Litany
In The Beginning
Karmic Intervention
Snapshot
Love, Apportioned
Reconstruction
Nuptial ABC's
Playing God
They've Come For The Butterflies

I still have todays poem to write, so I'm going to take the dogs for a walk and hope the inspiration squirrel* runs up my leg...


(Second cousin, twice removed - by force - of the infamous Plot Squirrel)
.

No comments: