|(To Max and Merlin) "Nah, nah, can't catch me."|
10 quotes by 10 of my favorite poets to wrap up April and National Poetry Month.
1. " I don’t want my relationship to poetry to be dutiful. Poetry is not obligatory, it’s not work. It’s an inner request far subtler and deeper than that."
2. "Achievement brings its own anticlimax."
3. “Out of the quarrel with others we make rhetoric; out of the quarrel with ourselves we make poetry.”
4. "Poetry is not an expression of the party line. It's that time of night, lying in bed, thinking what you really think, making the private world public, that's what the poet does."
5. "Yet there are times when a deeper need enters, when we want the poem to be not only pleasurably right but compellingly wise, not only a surprising variation played upon the world, but a re-tuning of the world itself."
6. "To live in this world, you must be able to do three things: to love what is mortal; to hold it against your bones knowing your own life depends on it; and, when the time comes to let it go, to let it go."
7. “I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.”
8. “A poem begins as a lump in the throat, a sense of wrong, a homesickness, a lovesickness.”
9. "For what is a poem but a hazardous attempt at self-understanding: it is the deepest part of autobiography."
Robert Penn Warren
10. “We look at the world once, in childhood. The rest is memory.”