01 January 2018

So Now It's 2018

So it's 2018. What are you going to do?




Welcome to the New Year. I'm not sure it's going to be much different than the old year, but I'd like it to be. I generally don't do resolutions—I might make an exception this time. I resolve to quit obsessively reading the news like some train wreck caught out of the corner of my eye. It's demoralizing and I can't shake the feeling of dread it brings. So here's to a news diet. I'm sure any bad news will make its way to me anyhow.

I'd like to do a better job reviewing books. I read enough. Time to pay back all those authors whose work I enjoyed, be it bestseller or self-published. I read a lot of self-published books this year, and many of them were damn good. (Another advantage to reading on Kindle is if the book is bad, I won't throw the Kindle against the wall.) A little bit of encouragement to authors goes a long way. Let them know their book hasn't just dropped into the endless void that is publishing now days.

More poetry, both reading and writing. I did good writing this year, partially stoked by the collaboration I'm doing with poet Kathleen Cassen Mickelson. Pushing each other is a good thing. I haven't been as pro-active about submitting my work. I mean to, but it takes so damn much time to research journals, adhere to the guidelines, and pick poems that might fit the journal. Of course second guessing the editors is a futile endeavor. They like what they like. Same thing with editing Gyroscope Review. In the end, we like what we like, nothing wrong about that. I don't even take offense at those that call me 'sir', and I read their work the same as any other. (Is 'Constance' a gender neutral name?)

I like to knit. But I'm caught in a spiral of doing easy projects, not advancing for fear of trying a new technique. I'll try and break that habit. I started doing that last year with a Fair Isle project and colorwork. This year I need to learn different things. Maybe even listen to some new music. I like the same artists I liked 20 years ago. But new isn't necessarily scary. Edging out on the limb here.

Finally, I want to spoil my remaining Corgi. Not that he isn't already spoiled, but I'm sure there's more I can do to make his life an excellent Corgi life. Isn't that what it's all about? Making other's lives a bit better? Start with animals, move on to people. Maybe that will make the paper. And then I'll start reading them again. 

Picture - Pixabay

2 comments:

Kathleen Cassen Mickelson said...

Happy New Year, my friend. This is a lovely post and thank you for the mention of our collaboration. It’s so important for writers to support each other and, really, why wouldn’t we? Yes, let’s make the lives of others, both human and not, a bit better in any way we can.

Constance Brewer said...

I agree! Group hug!