16 July 2006

It's Hot Out There

It was 107 degrees in the shade yesterday. I don't know what it was in the sun because I refused to set foot outside. No way. The sun looked brutal from inside, who wants it beating down on your head? There are fires raging all around us, the night before all I could smell in the air was smoke from toasted prairie. Satuday didn't promise to be much better. There are fires east of us, and north of us in Montana. Can't even see the mine that is 5 miles away because of the haze. It also ruined my stargazing. If it was clear, it would have been a perfect night to drive out to the middle of nowhere and look at the constellations. (Note: The middle of nowhere is about 10 miles from my house. Hell is about 25 and can be seen from a hilltop.)

I hate heat that is unrelenting, so I fled to the basement and worked on printmaking for a Baren print exchange. The theme is nudes, in oban size, about 10 x 15 inch prints. I'll post the finished print here later.

The other thing I did to avoid going outside was to dye some yarn. I have 10 skeins of laceweight wool yarn in sheep color- off white. I decided to try Kool Aid dying. It was easy, it was fun, more importantly, it didn't involve a whole lot of effort. Very cruicial when it's 107 outside, and about 80 inside even with the air condtioner running its little heart out.

Here are the results of playing around with some basic Kool Aid packets.
From the top down, Orange, Artic Green Apple, Ice Blue Raspberry Lemonade, Strawberry Kiwi, and Lemonade.
And to think, we actually drink this stuff. Or used to. Even my kids won't touch it now. Not cool for teenagers, when they can have energy drinks and frappaccinos. Maybe if I show them the yarn they will be awed by Kool Aid's mystic properties and rethink their expensive drink habits.
Nah. Never happen.

No comments: