01 November 2006

NaNo Day 1 - Blastoff! Let The Game Begin.








After three jargon-filled and l-o-n-g days in training I managed to get home tonight in time to bash out my word count for the first day of NaNoWriMo. I debated pulling out my laptop in the car- I wasn't driving- but I didn't think the people I was traveling with would appreciate it much. After all that intensive training everyone was ready to explode at the slightest provocation. A four hour drive to think on starting my NaNo book. It must have helped, because I hit the door, plugged in the laptop and took off. Maybe I should drive across the state more often when I need thinking time...

Nah. I'll just stay home for the next month. (There were enough dead bunnies on the trip to give credence to the idea that Wyoming has fur-lined roads.)

I think the outlining I did the first two weeks of October helped a great deal. I knew what I had to write to get started. No agonizing over the first sentence, first paragraph, opening hook, etc. I just plunged in and wrote about my character and the terrible thing she found out. My internal editor was screaming that I wasn't starting in the proper place, that there was too much backstory in that paragraph, and when the heck was I going to describe the palace grounds?

It was really tough to ignore the little whiny voice and continue on. I did stop to look up a title on the 'Net, but only allowed myself to check 3 pages for relative accuracy. I also wrote some clunky dialogue, but didn't go back and fix it. It will eat at me, I know it, but I plan to battle Mr. Internal and win. My fear is that he gave up way too easily tonight. Then again, closing my eyes, sticking my fingers in my ears, and chanting "la, la, la, la, I can't hear you, la, la, la" may have been what really worked.

I did get the word counter up and running on the sidebar. Inspiration or implement of torture? I haven't decided yet.

No comments: