10 November 2010

November 2010 Poem A Day Challenge - Day 10

Today's prompt from Poetic Asides:
For today's prompt, write a love poem. Simple as that. Poets who've done the PAD challenges in the past know I always sneak this one in somewhere during the month. And if you're all anti-love poem, that's fine. Express your anti-love in a poem as well; it still counts toward this prompt.
I knew this one was coming. I like to think I can write a passable love poem, but somehow they always come out a bit... slanted. Some turn into manifestos, others grow snarky. Once in a while I get a pure, straight up love poem. Not this time, however. I got a slightly sideways love poem, one about comparisons – those things that my love is like, mostly – and a closing declaration that was a tad on the cynical side, but not in a bad way. I think that's possible.

I didn't think I'd get a second poem from the prompt but I did. A short piece about poetic requirements for love.

A little light on the Japanese forms today. Only one haiku and one tanka, neither having much to do with the prompt. Not that I'm out of haiku I think, just that the prompt took a lot out of me on the first poem write-through, and left me very little brain power to wrestle with haiku. 

11/10 TALLY
Poems - 2
Haiku - 1
Tanka - 1

To Date Total

Poems - 17
Haiku - 12
Tanka - 28


.

No comments: