14 November 2010

November 2010 Poem A Day Challenge - Day 14

Here is the Poetic Asides prompt for the day:
For today's prompt, write a crossroads poem. This could be a poem about a physical, mental, or emotional intersection. For instance, graduating college or getting a divorce often leaves people at a crossroads. Or finishing a ginormous project at work. Or even starting a poem. After all, that blank page (or screen) offers so many new possibilities.
Another prompt I wrestled with. I had to look up crossroads and read the definition to get a handle on it.

cross•road  n.
1. A road that intersects another road.
2. crossroads (used with a sing. or pl. verb)
a. A place where two or more roads meet.
b. A small, usually rural community situated at an intersection of two or more roads: asked for directions at a remote crossroads.
c. A place that is centrally located.
d. A crucial point.

Okay, that didn't tell me a whole lot that I didn't know. I started casting about for ideas and finally settled on 2b, a small, usually rural community situated at the intersection of two or more roads. Hey, that describes where I live, here at the intersection of an Interstate and a State highway. Okay, so they intersect out in the great big empty that is Wyoming, but any port in a poetry prompt.

My poem explored my on again, off again relationship with the place that I live, and the fact I never intended to stay here as long as I have.

Two haiku, one on the prompt, and one tanka, also on the prompt.
11/14 TALLY
Poems - 1
Haiku - 2
Tanka - 1

To Date Total
Poems - 22
Haiku - 16
Tanka - 31


.

No comments: