17 November 2010

November 2010 Poem A Day Challenge - Day 17

It's Wednesday, and time for another Poetic Asides prompt:
For today's prompt, take the phrase "Tell me why (blank)," replace the blank with a word or phrase, make the new phrase the title of your poem, and then, write the poem. Possible titles could include: "Tell me why 1+1=2," "Tell me why I'm wrong," "Tell me why my hand always gets stuck in the Pringle's container," etc. Get silly; get serious; get poeming!
Ah, the dreaded fill in the blank title poem prompt. I'm a little more okay with it than I was previously, although I did have to ponder a while on the phrase.

I thought of going with the phrase as is – Tell Me Why – and then moved on to variations on the Tell Me Why this or that until I stumbled across Tell Me Why You Love Me. At first I rejected it but my mind kept circling back, so I wrote a poem for that title. As Robert was saying in his lead up to the prompt, sometimes themes emerge slowly.

It was slow in emerging, because who am I to demand you tell me why you love me was my reasoning. I stayed with it and the poem that came about dealt with reasons and insecurities over why the narrator would ask this question.

Is it a love poem? Well, sort of. Like all my love poems, it's a bit prickly, like a balled up hedgehog. Does it answer the demand the title posed? Not in so many words, but that's okay too. 

There were two haiku and two tanka that could relate to the prompt, depends on how far you want to stretch your definition of Tell Me Why.


11/17 TALLY
Poems - 1
Haiku - 2
Tanka - 2

To Date Total
Poems - 25.5
Haiku - 22
Tanka - 38


.

No comments: