18 November 2010

November 2010 Poem A Day Challenge - Day 18

Today’s public service message from Poetic Asides:
For today's prompt, write a lost & found poem. I suppose you could focus on either what's lost or what's found--or both. Or you could focus on how things change after something lost. Or after something is found. Or...I'm starting to lose my train of thought. I'm sure you've probably got the idea.
For some reason opposites always flummox me, at first. My mind naturally ping pongs from one extreme to the other so prompts like this should be right up my alley. I just have to give free rein to myself to consider everything on the spectrum, from lost all the way through found and beyond.

My poem for this prompt ended up being a see-saw, describing a rather noise filled mental state and lost marbles that eventually find themselves. A bit weirder and more metaphoric than usual, but half the fun of doing these prompts is allowing myself to explore other avenues of poem writing. I’ve discovered that no matter how hard I try, my poems always contain some underlying themes and ideas, so now I’ve learned to relax and let it happen.

I've also learned to not rush the ending. Some poems end rather abruptly it seems to me, but on a later reading, it seems they end in just the right spot. Of course, time and editing will tell.

A few haiku today, and a tanka or two.

11/18 TALLY
Poems - 1
Haiku - 2
Tanka - 2

To Date Total
Poems - 26.5
Haiku - 24
Tanka - 40


.

No comments: