26 November 2010

November 2010 Poem A Day Challenge - Day 26

Post Turkey Day Poetic Asides:
For today's prompt, write an "on the run" poem. You can decide who or what is on the run and what might be causing them to run. For myself, I had to link today's poem to my poem yesterday. But you can run in any direction you want.
The prompt didn't inspire me to any great heights. I blame the post Thanksgiving torpor. It didn't help that work was so slow I was actually excited to see a client walk through the door to break up the monotony. But I made myself buckle down and think "on the run".

The main image I got was that of the two Corgis running pell mell down the fence line as they try and keep up with the Retriever on one side of the Doberman on the other. For every graceful Dobie bound there are three furious Corgi strides. Somehow, the short-legged twosome manage to keep up. It's one hundred feet from one gate to the back fence, and the Corgis and neighbor dogs run it dozens of times a day. No wonder they are in such good shape. So my poem is about the pure joy of two Corgis 'on the run' up an down the fence line.

One haiku, and one tanka, neither on the topic, really. But that's okay, they are getting easier to write. I start with a mental image of the weather of the day and go from there. Sometimes it's a nature poem, sometimes it's something a bit more removed from that initial thought process. Weather, animals, the look of the sky all serve for jumping off points.


11/26 TALLY
Poems - 1
Haiku - 1
Tanka - 1

To Date Total
Poems - 41
Haiku - 31
Tanka - 51


.

No comments: