05 November 2010

November 2010 Poem A Day Challenge - Day 5

From the Poetic Asides blog:
For today's prompt, write a metamorphosis poem. This is an excellent opportunity to use metaphors and/or show changes in a season, person, animal, plant, or whatever. (Hopefully, everyone won't turn themselves into Kafka-esque roaches.)

By all rights this should have been an easy prompt. I write frequently about change in all its guises, internal and external, but most of all, changes in myself and my perception of the world. Mostly these themes creep in unnoticed, so when I actually spotlighted the idea, everything froze.

The poem I wrote first has to do with changes in me, about how I learned to ride a bike, my brother, his bike riding, and how it proved to be the catalyst for a relatively chicken little girl to go to new places and try new things. The poem morphed into a moment in time when my boys learned to ride their bikes, and how hard it was to not be overprotective. There is that moment of change, from the 6 year old to the adult who now knows you can’t save kids from doing stupid things on bikes – all in the name of impressing their big brother.

I approached the topic for a second poem, thinking about when I looked at old photos of myself in chronological order, how amusing it might be to have a flipbook of them, so I could watch my hair grow shorter and longer over the years. Images are a powerful representation of change, and good ground to explore for further poems.

I managed to get a haiku semi-related to the topic, and 4 tanka, one of which came from the first poem I wrote, the rest not really related to the prompt. Tanka are getting easier, where haiku remain much harder.



11/05 TALLY
Poems - 2
Haiku - 1
Tanka - 4

To Date Total

Poems - 8
Haiku - 6
Tanka - 18


.

No comments: