06 September 2010

What I've Been Reading/Watching/Listening To, Etc.

By request, a rundown of the odds and ends of my life.

What I'm reading: Rereading The Lord of the Rings books. I do this every year or so, and every year I find all kinds of interesting things I didn't remember or missed the last time around. I've finished The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings, working on The Two Towers.

Other reads/rereads:
L. E. Modesitt, Jr. – Imager and Imager's Challenge
Cory Doctorow's Little Brother
Kage BakerIn The Garden of Iden
Jane LindskoldThrough Wolf's Eyes
Naomi Novik His Majesty's Dragon
Non-Fiction: Theology, geology (rockhounding), psychology (Cognitive behavioral), philosophy (war origins) and poetry (Asian forms and collections).

What I'm listening to: New David Gray album, Foundling. It's a more introspective take than his last album, Draw The Line. For that alone people probably won't like it. Some lovely music, though, good for background to paint or write.

Krishna Das – I listen to some Krisna Das every day, it helps me get through the day. Kirtan-style music. (Indian Devotional)
Janis Joplin – Do I need to explain?
Johnny Cash At Folsom Prison
Cowboy Junkies Remnin Park
Norah JonesThe Fall
Sara JaroszSong Up In Her Head
Leo Kottke - A Leo Kottke Anthology

What I'm watching: When I succumb to the wasteland that is television – Warehouse 13. Love the characters and the premise. Sort of an X-Files light. Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. Pick up all sorts of interesting tidbits about food and culture from this show.

On the DVD front, I picked up a copy of James Michener's 26 hour long mini-series, Centennial. It holds up surprisingly well for a program from the late 1970's. Also rewatched all three movies of Lord of The Rings so I can better compare them to the books. I still think Peter Jackson did a good job with the plethora of source material he had. Another rewatch – Fringe box set. Gearing up for Season Three premier. John Noble is wonderful in this series.

What I'm writing: The occasional poem, but editing the mass of poems I wrote in June-July. A few essays on poetry, backstory for The Other Fantasy Novel, and bits and pieces for the Almost Finished Fantasy Novel. See the previous post for my explanation for the light writing.

What I'm knitting: Just started a knitted lace scarf with some lovely purple and forest green Merino yarn Linda gave me. Also on the needles: Socks – One toe up pair with cashmere blend feet and alpaca blend tops, one Top down pair in a new yarn I acquired on a fiber artists weekend excursion. Also knitting toys, of course.

What I'm spinning: Unidentified mystery yarn Linda gave me. Also a baby camel/silk blend. Waiting impatiently on a different spinning wheel, since the Babe wheel and I did not get along. Defecting to a Lendrum.


What I'm cooking:
Chicken Biryani. Lamb Samosas. Naan bread. Red lentil dosas. (see a pattern here? Stuck on Indian food at the moment) Homemade Falafel. Three cheese polenta with garlic.

What Scott's cooking for Me
for Dinner: Lobster in Vermouth Sauce with a nice New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Yes, it was awesome. Now I have to come up with something equally awesome, although the polenta was darn good if I do say so myself.


So what's new with you? Any good recipes, patterns, books, movies, music to share? Always looking for something new to explore. Feel free to share your favorites in comments!


.

4 comments:

Akeith Walters said...

Wow, Constance, what a great inside look at your life. I must say yor interests are rather interesting. I know that seems a bit corny to say, but it encompasses my thought. Thanks for the post.

Constance Brewer said...

Gray, thanks. I'm voyeuristic at heart, so I figure other people are too! So what have YOU been reading/watching/listening to? I'm curious. :)

Carla said...

I can't even begin to compete....
Reading (not counting work) - just finished The Brothers of Gwynedd Quartet. Listening to - The BBC proms, up to last night when the season ended in traditional style. Needlework - current project on hold awaiting time to work on it. Cooking - fresh bread and ratatouille with beans today; in general at this season anything involving courgettes (zucchini), tomatoes, French beans, beetroot and/or apples.

Constance Brewer said...

Carla - no competition, I'm just a tad hyper. Not happy unless I have a bunch of plates turning in the air. Hunting eggplant to make the ratatouille. :)