22 February 2007

Historical Fiction Preference Meme

Since I liked this bandwagon, and there were no cybertags, threats, or cookies involved, I jumped on board.

Straight Historical, Historical Mystery, Historical Fantasy, Historical Romance, or Time Travel?
All of the above, although I'm not big on mysteries. If pressed, I'll admit to preferring Historical Fantasy above others.

Historical Figures as Main Characters or Purely Fictional Characters in Historical Settings as Main Characters?
I prefer purely fictional characters as the main characters, and historical figures as 'accessories'. Sometimes historical figures as main characters comes off as Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure … Depends on the author - My fallback position.

Hardback, Trade Paperback, or Mass Market Paperback?
I only buy hardbacks on a few select authors, and for research books. I prefer Trade paperback because I can actually still read the print. Mass Market, "This book will self destruct in 3 weeks" paperbacks are getting harder for me to read, text and binding wise.

Philippa Gregory or Margaret George?
Margaret George, mainly for Memoirs of Cleopatra, which can also double as a doorstop.

Amazon or Brick and Mortar?
Amazon, because I'm a 284 mile round trip away from a real brick and mortar store. (Note: Amazon Prime is a tool of the devil)

Bernard Cornwell or Sharon Penman?
Bernard Cornwell. He writes more in eras I'm interested in.

Barnes & Noble or Borders?
If I make my 284 mile trek to a real brick and mortar, Barnes and Noble is it. Of course it's the ONLY one there, so beggars can't be choosers.

First Historical Novel You Ever Remember Reading?
Hmm… Red Badge of Courage, Little House on the Prairie, and Last of the Mohicans in elementary school I think, The Winds of War in high school. Those are the ones that stand out. I'm not sure the Iliad and Odyssey count as history novels, besides, I read them as poetry. I read every WWII and Vietnam book I could get my hands on in high school. Now I'm trying to figure out where my ancient history obsession came from. Probably all those art history classes.

Alphabetize by Author, Alphabetize by Title, or Random?
Sorted by subject matter usually. Each subject to its own shelf. (I have LOTS of bookshelves.) No alphabetizing, A) because I can't care, and B) because my child once alphabetized my DVD collection and I could never find anything. I remember titles, not authors anyways.

Keep, Throw Away, or Sell?
Keep. I keep everything. Refer to my Pack Rat post of a few months back if you want gory details. You never know when a book will come in handy. Keep. Everything.

Jean Plaidy or Norah Lofts?
Neither. Not interested in the time periods they write about.

Read with Dust Jacket or Remove It?
Dust Jacket. Then I can use the flap as a bookmark.

Stop Reading When Tired or at Chapter Breaks?
When I get tired.

“It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”?
Once upon a time.

Buy or Borrow?
I used to borrow from the library a lot, but they frown on writing in the margins. Now I buy almost everything, I can write tirades in the margins and not worry about the books being overdue, not to mention being on a first name basis with my UPS guy. He even brings my dogs biscuits.

Posie Graeme-Evans or Pamela Kaufman?
Neither.

Buying Choice: Book Reviews, Recommendations, or Browsing?
Reviews if they are comprehensive, browsing when available. Especially for non-fiction. Recommendations from a select few people who I trust. In other words, I am not an impulse buyer.

Dorothy Dunnett or Anya Seton?
Dorothy Dunnett just because she was so darn interesting.

Tidy Ending or Cliffhanger?
Tidy ending. I want closure with the characters in the novel. Hints of future problems/turmoil are okay, just make sure THIS book finishes, or I'm apt to never pick up another one in that series.

Sticking Close to Known Historical Fact, or Using Historical Fact as Wallpaper?
Close to the facts. Wallpaper is used to cover up flaws in the walls. *g*

Morning Reading, Afternoon Reading or Nighttime Reading?
What was the question?? I read from can see to can't see.

Series or Standalone?
Either. But a series has to have a plan, not resemble an endless wheel. *cough*

Favorite Book of Which Nobody Else Has Heard?
I'd say mine, but my ego's not that big this week. *g*
Count Belisarius by Robert Graves. What can I say, it's set in Byzantium.

3 comments:

Carla said...

Oh, I forgot Little House on the Prairie! I bet that was the first one I read, too. I never thought of it as a historical novel.

I like Count Belisarius too - there's a copy on the shelf next to my desk. Not as famous as I Claudius but just as good.

Scott Oden said...

Ha! You fell prey to the 'silent tag'! I am insidious, and my gnome legions have no fear of Corgis (probably because my gnome legions are dumb as fez-hatted stumps . . . I'll be glad when I can afford to upgrade to Orcs . . .)!

Constance Brewer said...

Most of what I read as a kid would fall under historical I think. I didn't sidetrack into fantasy until college.

Scott. Don't. Look. Up. Death from Above is such a satisfying maneuver. *g*
Yeah, your tag was so stealthy even you fell for it. And why aren't you writing? Don't make me send the Procrastination Gnome over to your house.